-->

Friday, September 26, 2014

From Newbie Freshman to "Wise" Sophomore

By Hope Steffensen


My friend once said that a sophomore means “wise fool.” Whether he is correct or not doesn’t really concern me right now, but I find it floating in my brain as I begin my sophomore year as a Political Science student here at UT Dallas.

I suppose I am wiser now. I no longer need to ask where to go for free blue books (Student Government Room in the Student Union Building). However, I still have much to learn, like learning how to use Chicago-Style Citations for my Public Policy paper this semester.

The greatest change to my life from freshman year to this year though has been becoming a Peer Advisor in the Social Science Living Learning Community (LLC). I’m in a brand new building, with a brand new LLC. And now, instead of being the student looking for answers, I am the student giving them.

One thing I love about this position is helping people as they try to get plugged in as Comets. I am in a position to help students get involved with the Pre-Law Society, Model United Nations and various other programs that suit their interests. But the best part of my position isn’t being an information source; it’s organizing a community.

I organized a program a few weeks ago where a bunch of residents and I hung out in one of the Residence Hall West Classrooms, played games, had root beer floats and got to ask questions of the UT Dallas Student Body President, Brooke Knudtson. The blending of academic interest, fun and community interaction was a fantastic experience. I am really looking forward to putting together another program for my residents in October.


Being a Peer Advisor is definitely a new experience. It’s interesting being the one giving more answers than I ask, but there is one thing that has stayed true from my freshman year to my sophomore year: it’s great to be a UTD Comet! Whoosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment