-->

Friday, September 19, 2014

How to Survive Your Freshman Year

By Colton Hattersley

I can’t believe that it has been a year.

This time, last year, I was walking around campus freaking out. I came to UT Dallas from a small town in South Texas, so the “college experience” was major culture shock. 

I remember thinking that UT Dallas was not for me. I looked at the feasibility of transferring back to a college closer to home. Now that I’m sitting here, writing this, I’m glad I stuck it out and gave UT Dallas a chance. It might seem scary at first, but this University works hard to make its students feel included, involved, and important.

Here are some tips on how to let UT Dallas help YOU, so that you can survive your Freshman Year:

  • GET INVOLVED. You have probably heard this many times, and will probably continue to hear this many times throughout the next four years. One of the coolest things about UT Dallas is the opportunity presented through extracurricular activities and student organizations. No matter what your interests are, there is probably a club out there for you. If not, you can always create one! The more involved you are during the next four years, the better your college experience will be overall.
  • ACCEPT THAT CHANGE WILL HAPPEN. One of the biggest worries that I had last year involved my thoughts about changing majors. I came to UT Dallas as a Political Science major, Pre-Law, and thought that I couldn’t change. I knew it was possible to change, but I wasn’t going to allow myself to fluctuate from, what I thought was the perfect plan. The moment that I did change my major, to Sociology, the world became a little brighter. Everything WILL be okay if you decide to change your major, change your friends, change your hair, or change what you eat for breakfast
  • DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP. The great thing about UT Dallas is that, in being a smaller University, there are many people willing to help you out. Want to learn more about a subject? Most professors, in my experiences, have been more than willing to meet with me to discuss various topics. Feeling alone in your dorm? Knock on your neighbors’ doors – many times they’ll end up becoming some of your closest friends. There are multiple avenues for help, from faculty and students, covering a variety of topics and needs. Ask, and you shall receive.



No comments:

Post a Comment